Second Chance Apartments:
Second chance apartments are apartments for individuals and families with poor leasing record and bad credit history. Usually, prospective landlords conduct a thorough inquiry about the past of the tenants before renting out their property. Such an inquiry inevitably reveals the past conduct of the tenants. Usually, landlords are unwilling to rent out their property to defaulters. However, in case of second chance apartments, the landlords are willing to take the risk to provide a tenant with a second chance. However, this second chance comes with a little higher cost.
When you are subject to one or more of the following conditions, you should know that you would need a second chance apartment.
- You were unable to pay rent in your previous residence reliably.
- You were in breach of the lease without any solid reason
- You defaulted on your rent to previous landlord
- You shifted from your old residence without fulfilling all the formalities.
- You were evicted by your landlord.
If you fulfill any of these conditions, then you must be aware that you would need a second chance apartment.
Requirements to get second chance apartment:
Usually, the second chance landlords offer their apartments subject to the fulfillment of certain requirements. Most of the landlords require that tenants make effort to resolve issues with their previous landlords. Concrete proof of progress is demanded by such landlords. On the other hand, there are some landlords who are not concerned with your past but only demand higher security deposit to ensure their financial safety in case you default again.
Advantages of second chance apartments:
- Second chance apartments allow the tenants to start anew. Second chance apartments are marked by the recognition that everyone can make mistakes, and that everyone deserves a second chance.
- It allows the tenants to have safe living place where they can work to sort out their problems.
- Second chance apartments allow the tenants to reestablish their reputation by giving them a second chance to correct their mistakes.
If are looking for a second chance apartments, you need to understand that you are in a precarious situation. You need to cast a positive impression on your prospective landlord. Following are some tips that can help in this regard.
Tips to cast a positive impression on second chance landlord:
- First and foremost, ensure that you are dressed properly. Poor dressing will significantly reduce your chances of getting a second chance.
- Ensure that you show keen interest in everything the landlord is saying. You must understand that landlord would have his own concerns and would require assurances.
- If you are working to sort out your past issues with your old landlord, offer some proofs to the new landlord.
- Be prepared to pay extra initial security deposit if the landlord demands.
- Giving your new landlord copies of the references.
These were some of the tips that can help you cast a good impression on your new landlord, and improve your chances of getting second chance apartment.